The NBA initiates ministry programs designed to establish and grow partnerships around health and social service ministries. With NBA XPLOR, we partner young adults with Disciples congregations and the communities which they serve — impacting neighborhoods, the congregations, and the young adults. We pray our residents will sense the gravitational pull of their faith, develop hearts for care and discern how to focus their life’s work.
The Beginnings of NBA XPLOR
Nearly 130 years ago, six women gathered in a church basement of a Disciples of Christ church in St. Louis praying that God would help them know how to faithfully respond to the deep human suffering on their doorsteps. What emerged was a heart for care that moved them to open a home for children and widows, responding in locally relevant ways to people in need in their community.
Drawing on that rich history, NBA continues to assist Disciples in developing networks of care that join systemic-justice work with direct care and action. At the very heart of NBA XPLOR is a desire to cultivate a heart for care in young adults. How can we help young adults recognize needs at their very doorsteps and then live a life of faithful response?
Four Cornerstones of NBA XPLOR:
- Hands-on Service/Justice Work — Serving in and among neighborhoods to accompany local social service providers in extending care and confronting systems of injustice
- Simple Living in Community — Learning and practicing faithful, intentionally simple and culturally competent communal living.
- Spiritual Discernment on Vocation — Striving through spiritual disciplines to discern the purpose for which one’s soul is made.
- Disciples Leadership Development — Living out one’s Disciples identity and unleashing one’s leadership capacity.
With NBA XPLOR, Residents will live in a diverse community of peers, where they will engage in communal and personal spiritual practices ranging from prayer to simple daily meals together. They will relate to a Disciples-host congregation, as well as care for and learn from others in community-service internships.
XPLOR Expands in 2015-16
This year, seven NBA XPLOR sites will each welcome up to four young adults to live in intentional community beginning in August 2015: Tucson-Marana, Arizona; North Hollywood, California; Golden Gate/Bay Area, California; Quad Cities, Illinois/Iowa; St. Louis, Missouri; Hiram-Mantua, Ohio; and Dallas, Texas.
The online application for the 2016-17 XPLOR Residency is now available. Please read the supplementary information packet before you begin your application. When you're ready to apply, please follow the link below!
- Early Decision Deadline: Friday, December 4, 2015
- Cornerstone Deadline: Friday, January 15, 2016
- Extended Deadline: Friday, February 19, 2016
If you would like to be contacted by the NBA XPLOR staff with more information about the XPLOR Residency, please fill out the form below.