Webinar: On Becoming Immigrant-Welcoming Congregations: Resolution GA-1723
These are uncertain times for those living in our communities who have emigrated and settled in the United States. Harsh and negative rhetoric abounds, and families are being torn apart and separated every day. How do followers of Jesus Christ, himself part of a family forced to leave its homeland, respond to this crisis? What can we, as members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), do to create safe, welcoming spaces for those whose lives are unsettled by the imposition of new laws and policies?
This webinar introduces General Assembly (Sense-of-the-Assembly) Resolution GA-1723 and begins a church-wide conversation exploring ways in which we can create, develop and maintain immigrant welcoming congregations as we strive to remain faithful to the Gospel.
- Rev. Dean Bucalos, Mission Specialist for the NBA Prison and Jail Ministries Affinity Group and Executive Director of Mission Behind Bars and Beyond, NBA Incubate Affiliate Ministry
- Rev. Héctor J. Hernández, Convener of the NBA Prison and Jail Ministries Peer Group, and Interim Pastor of Iglesia Presbiteriana Nueva Creación (New Creation Presbyterian Church)
Resources and Things You Can Do
- Disciples Immigration Legal Counsel - Resources
- DHM Refugee and Immigration Ministries - Resources
- Sanctuary Protections for Immigrants - Resources for Congregations/Churches
Read the full text of Resolution GA-1723, sponsored by:
Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic Ministries (Obra Hispana)
Refugee and Immigration Ministries
Disciples Immigration Legal Counsel
Iglesia Alas de Salvación, Chandler, AZ
Iglesia Cristiana Emmanuel, San Benito, TX
National Benevolent Association (NBA)
North American Pacific/Asian Disciples (NAPAD)
Image above: © 2016 Héctor Hernandez & Malanga Art Studio. All rights reserved.