Webinar: Liberating the Mind: Understanding Mental Health as a Justice Issue
Just days before our 2017 Martin Luther King, Jr. day celebrations, the Mental Health and Congregational Care Affinity Group offered an insightful webinar imagining how the church might think about mental health as a justice issue. In this webinar, we break down what we mean when we say "justice," lift up common issues of justice that exist in the mental health field, and discuss how the church can navigate and respond to the intersection of justice and mental health.
Whether you are navigating the hurdles of your own mental illness, standing in solidarity with those facing life with the stigma of mental illness, or trying to learn how to create a more safe, informed, and welcoming church culture around mental health issues, this webinar is for you.
- Video: Intro - Part 1: What do we mean when we say justice?
- Video: Part 2: Intersections between justice and mental health
- Video: Part 3: How can the church respond?
- Video: Part 4: Closing conversation and Q&A
- Faye London, Social Justice Clergy from Freedom’s Chapel Christian Church
- Rev. Sandhya Jha, Author of Pre-Post Racial America: Spiritual Stories from the Front Lines and Director of Oakland Peace Center
- Angela Whitenhill, LCSW, Psychotherapist, Mental Health Affinity Group Convener, and Clergy Activist