Webinar: Beyond the Labels: The Humanization of God’s Children
Thursday, September 27, 2018
1:00pm EST / 12:00pm CST / 11:00am MST / 10:00am PST
Language is often used to dehumanize and control the image and narratives of black and brown people, and to provide a vehicle for their criminalization and imprisonment in this country. This webinar addresses the reality that how we think and talk about certain people in this country is counter to what it means to be created in the image of God, and people of faith have a role in dismantling these images that fuel and support an unjust criminal system.
Date: Thursday, September 27th, 2018
Time: 1:00pm EST / 12:00pm CST / 11:00am MST / 10:00am PST
- Rev. Dr. Dietra Wise Baker: Program Coordinator for NBA Advocacy and Activism, St. Louis, MO
- George Chocos: Pastoral Assistant, Summerfield United Methodist Church, Bridgeport, CT; formerly incarcerated
- Johnny Perez: Director of U.S. Prisons Program, National Religious Campaign Against Torture; Washington, D.C.; formerly incarcerated
- Amilcar Valencia: Executive Director, El Refugio, Lumpkin, GA; Peer Group Participant, NBA Prison and Jail Ministries
- Moderated by: Rev. Dean Bucalos, Mission Specialist, NBA Prison and Jail Ministries; Executive Director, Mission Behind Bars and Beyond, Louisville, KY
Reconciliation Ministry: Embracing the Call
You are invited to journey with Reconciliation Ministry in "Embracing the Call." They share: "There are so many things going on in our country today that we can’t not address as issues pertaining to the core of reconciliation. We want all Disciples to not only be aware of the horrific day-to-day issues regarding race and its intersections, but to be informed, transformed, and empowered to embrace the call of reconciliation."