Mission Specialist, NBA XPLOR
Rev. Dr. H. Ben Bohren is a Mission Specialist for NBA XPLOR. In September 2016, Ben celebrated 50 years in ministry - and still going strong! Over those years so far:
- Ben served 8 years as Regional Minister-President of the Christian Church of Northern California-Nevada;
- Nearly 8 years as the Director of Church Relations for the National Benevolent Association;
- 10 years as Director of Church Relations at Chapman University in Orange, CA;
- 20 years in pastoral ministry as Senior Minister at First Christian Church, Orange, CA; pastor at First Christian Church, Lebanon, KY; and student minister at Wintergreen and Beech Grove Christian Churches, Nelson County, VA;
- Enroute to his D. Min degree, his education comes from Lynchburg College, Lexington Theological Seminary, and School of Theology at Claremont;
- Ben has served as chair and member of the General Commission on Ministry; member of the Executive Committee of the College of Regional Ministers; member of the Administrative Committee of the General Board and currently serves a vice-chair of the Disciples Seminary Foundation Board and member of the HELM Board.
In retirement in Palm Springs, Ben continues ministry as a Mission Specialist Consultant for the NBA XPLOR program, with the joy of assisting in its formation, launching, and growth.
Getting to Know Ben
Why do you feel "called to care" about Disciples health and social service ministry?
As a Christian, an active follower of the “way of Jesus,” I am called to be a person of care to all those I meet and encounter regularly, but far beyond that, to be a person of care to the myriad of God’s children, my brothers and sisters, who are marginalized and forgotten by so much of our society and the world. NBA does one of the most amazing jobs of reaching such persons and I am privileged to be part of an support such a ministry.
Who is a hero of yours, and why?
The majority of my heroes are not well known names, but individuals of deep faith and courage, who were examples for me of servanthood and humility every day they lived: Allen and Nel Stanger, Mossie Wyker, Orie Whitlock, Bev Kamp Weatherill, Garland Bandy, Irene Mullins, Clarence Johnson, Salesa and Temu Fa’alua, Lillian Lewis,and so many more.
If I tried to find you in a supermarket, what aisle would you be in?
The greeting card aisle! I am old fashioned in this way… I still love to send cards via the mail; cards of all occasions. When I have a little extra time, I will browse and buy at least a dozen that grab my fancy and my heart and then when the time arrives, I have just the right one to remind someone I love that I am thinking of them.