Webinar: Juvenile Justice and Restorative Justice
The NBA Prison and Jail Ministries Affinity Group and Reconciliation Ministry of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) are proud to offer a series of webinars focused on congregational and general church involvement in prison and jail issues.
The "school-to-prison pipeline" is an emerging phenomenon in our country. One of the major feeders of mass incarceration is the juvenile justice system. Schools often rely upon the police for discipline, resulting in a rise in referrals to the juvenile justice system. Structural racism in police, schools, and the juvenile justice systems has led to the disproportionate number of brown and black youth in juvenile detention facilities.
Educational Webinar: Juvenile Justice and Restorative Justice
This March 2016 webinar explored the school-to-prison pipeline and ways you and your faith community can become part of emerging solutions, including those that employ the principles of restorative justice.
- Rev. Dr. Dietra Wise Baker: Pastor and Planter, Liberation Christian Church; Chaplain and Program Development Manager, Episcopal City Mission
- Rev. Dean Bucalos: Mission Specialist, NBA Prison and Jail Ministries; Program Coordinator, Mission Behind Bars and Beyond; Pastor, New Life in Christ Christian Church
In addition to the webinar presentation, you may find these materials to be helpful references as well:
- School-to-Prison Pipeline, provided by Reconciliation Ministry
- The Little Book of Restorative Justice, by Howard Zehr (Good Books, Intercourse, PA, 2002). This a very short book with a good, comprehensive introduction to the principles of restorative justice.
- NBA Prison and Jail Ministries resources, including additional webinars
- NBA Prison and Jail Ministries stories and news, the latest blogs from Rev. Dean Bucalos and other guest writers