A collaborative ministry addressing justice issues within prisons, jails, and detention centers.
The work of the Prison and Jail Ministries Initiative centers around inspiration, advocacy, and education, including:
- Sponsorship of Resolution GA-1723, “On Becoming Immigrant-Welcoming Congregations,” which was adopted as a Sense-of-the-Assembly Resolution at the 2017 General Assembly of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- Sponsorship of Resolution GA-1525, “A Call to End Solitary Confinement,” which passed as an Item for Reflection and Research at the 2015 General Assembly.
- Educational workshops at General Assembly and other regional events.
- Participation in events such as Ecumenical Advocacy Days and the Interfaith Criminal Justice Coalition.
- A Facebook group to help members stay connected and up-to-date on these important issues.
Within this network of over 400 members, we convene a smaller Prison and Jail Ministries Peer Learning & Wellness Group to cultivate peer-to-peer learning, spiritual renewal, well-being and address systemic injustice.