Social Enterprise Resource Bank
Welcome to NBA’s Social Enterprise Resource Bank! If you are building or leading a Disciples-related health and social service ministry/organization, you are in the right place! If you are building a health and social service ministry/organization that is not Disciples-related, stick around anyway—we hope to be helpful to you on your journey as well.
This page is meant to address the frequently asked questions of those establishing and operating health and social services ministries, as well as offer information and techniques to promote both healthy organizations and healthy leaders. Here, you’ll find articles, blogs, videos, and comments from your peers intended to help equip you for service through your nonprofits and social enterprises. We’ll try to define common terms, address common conundrums, share commonly accepted practices, and provide a platform to explore ideas with those attempting the same thing you are: creating communities of compassion and care—moving toward wholeness in this fragmented world.
You can expect new content on this page about every two weeks, but feel free to check in more often for unexpected sources of news and wisdom from your colleagues and others as they respond to what we share here. We look forward to accompanying you on this journey!
- Creating Your Board – by John McCarty
- Analyzing Giving Patterns – by Rev. Micah James
- Webinar: Facebook for Social Enterprise – by Rev. LaShaundra McCarty
- Self-Care for Social Entrepreneurs: Mental Health for the Holidays (VIDEOS) – by Angela Whitenhill, M.Div., LCSW
- Choosing a Financial Reporting Tool – by Rev. Micah James
- Building a Communications Plan, Part 1 – by Kasi Zieminski
- Building a Communications Plan, Part 2 – by Kasi Zieminski
- Webinar: Building a Communications Plan – by Kasi Zieminski
- After Background Checks – by Rev. Micah James
- Should I Start a Church or Nonprofit? – by Pastor Terrell McTyer and Rev. Ayanna Johnson Watkins
- Webinar: Start-Up Board Development – by Geetha Rao Sant
- It’s Stressful Out There – Take Care of Yourself – from the National Council of Nonprofits
- Benefiting from Board Diversity – from BoardSource
- Board Fundraising eGuide – from Network for Good
- Webinar: Introduction to Faith-Based/Rooted Organizing – by Rev. Dr. Dietra Wise Baker and Rev. Sandhya Jha
- The Downsides of Linear Thinking, and Why We Need to Embrace Failure – from Nonprofit AF
- 10 Local Marketing Strategies That Work – from the U.S. Small Business Administration Blog
- Webinar: Grow Your Ministry with Email and Social – from Jen Wewers, Give Gratitude, Inc.
- “Leading with Intent: 2017 National Index of Nonprofit Board Practices” – from BoardSource
- 7 Things You Can Do To Improve the Sad, Pathetic State of Board Diversity – from Nonprofit AF
- Podcast Edition #1 – by Larry J. Morris III
- Principles and Practices for Nonprofits – from the National Council of Nonprofits
- Welcoming Abundance in 2018: Insights and Helpful Tips for Planning Your Fundraising Year – from Rev. April Lewton
- Creating Positive Change through Board Advocacy – from Stand for Your Mission
- How to Plan a Retreat That’s Really Restful – by Rev. Ayanna Johnson Watkins
- Webinar: Transforming Communities: the Book and the Journey – with Rev. Sandhya Jha, Oakland Peace Center, and Rev. Dana Bainbridge, Recovery Cafe San Jose – co-sponsored by Chalice Press
- Webinar: Vision, Mission, and Values: Building Blocks of Nonprofit Ministry – with Rev. Rebecca Hale, NBA, and Rev. Chris Dorsey, HELM
- Webinar: Fundraising Is Ministry – with Jordan Bles, NBA, and Rev. Dana Bainbridge, Recovery Cafe San Jose
- Making Friends by Asking for Money – by Jordan Bles
- Webinar: Best Practices for Board Development – with Rev. Dr. Todd A. Adams, President and CEO of the Pension Fund of the Christian Church
- Webinar: Succession Planning and Executive Transitions 101 – with C. Mark Palmer, CEO of Woodhaven, and Rev. Monica Wedlock Kilpatrick, Director of NBA Connect Ministries
- Practical Branding 101 – with Tim Campbell, Relation Media Strategist
- Community of Resistance Podcast with Sandhya Jha
- A Helpful Framework for Solving Complex Community Problems
- So, What’s Your Story?
- Self Care and Creative Contemplation
- Racial Reconciliation Resources
- Sustainable Fundraising: Building a Community of Support with A New Generation of Donors
Rev. Darnell Fennell, Director of Social Entrepreneurship
This Social Enterprise Resource Bank is maintained by NBA’s Social Entrepreneurship Team. If you’d like to find out more about Incubate, please check out our page at nbacares.org/programs/social-entrepreneurship/.