Now Accepting Applications for 2018-19 NBA XPLOR!
- EARLY DECISION DEADLINE: December 1, 2017; notified by December 15, 2017.
- CORNERSTONE DEADLINE: January 19, 2018; notified by February 2, 2018.
- EXTENDED DEADLINE: February 23, 2018; notified by March 9, 2018.
The NBA initiates ministries designed to establish and grow partnerships with health and social service supporters and providers. 130 years ago, our founders in St. Louis gathered to pray and respond in locally relevant ways to help people in need in their community. Drawing upon this rich history, NBA continues to assist Disciples to join systemic justice work with direct care and action. How can we work with young adults today to recognize needs at their very doorsteps and live a life of faithful response?
In 2014, we launched NBA XPLOR, a prophetic movement of and for young adults who are considering lives of care and service. The Residency provides 10-month professional development and vocational discernment opportunities for 21- to 30-year-olds to live simply in community and engage in direct service and justice work. Through NBA XPLOR, we partner young adults with Disciples congregations, regional and general ministries, and wider communities—positively engaging neighborhoods, the congregations, and the young adults.
Four Cornerstones of NBA XPLOR:
- Hands-on Service/Justice Work — Intern with nonprofit, community-based agencies and social service providers to empower local mission efforts while gaining a professional skillset and increasing your awareness of and response to systems of injustice
- Simple Living in Community — Learn and practice faithful, intentionally simple, and culturally competent communal living.
- Spiritual Discernment on Vocation — Strive through spiritual disciplines to discern the purpose for which your soul is made.
- Disciples Leadership Development — Work with a spiritual companion and host congregation to live into your Disciples identity by exploring the life of faith and the work of justice, unleashing your capacity to be leaders in the church and world.
Additionally, NBA XPLOR is committed to the solid foundation of diversity as a major component of intentional community living. Ongoing anti-racism, cross-cultural communication and anti-oppression training are integral components of NBA XPLOR.
- Meet NBA XPLOR Residents from 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, and 2017-18!
- Read stories and news from the XPLOR community.
- Watch NBA XPLOR videos - view the 2017-18 videos to the right, and check out more playlists on YouTube.
- This year, 18 Residents are living and serving in 6 host sites: Tucson-Marana, Arizona; Golden Gate/Bay Area, California; St. Louis, Missouri; Hiram-Mantua, Ohio; and Dallas, Texas.
- Download our NBA XPLOR FAQ, available in English, Spanish, and Korean, and review the NBA XPLOR Supplemental Information Packet.
- Share NBA XPLOR promotional slides, available in English and Spanish, NBA XPLOR poster, and NBA XPLOR Bulletin Insert with your local congregation and community.
If you would like to be contacted by the NBA XPLOR staff with more information about the XPLOR Residency, please fill out the form below.